Alfie Elf Mushroom and Friends


From left: Louis, Valerie, Alfie, Ziggy, and a spiral form


 I've been working on creating a series of mushroom characters. My first little fun-guy is called Alfie. He has big ears - he is based on an Amanita muscaria- the classic red and white toadstool.  So he is my first mushroom elf.

The second one in the series is Ziggy. He is based on an Ink cap Mushroom also known as Inky cap. Did you know that this is an edible mushroom? I don't know if I would eat one. It looks sticky and not appetizing - but the colors are still appealing as an art form for my amigurumi.

The third one that I have created is Valerie. She is based on the Veiled Lady Mushroom (Phallus indusiatus) - she has a dramatic lacy skirt so I made this little creation a "she/her" - I love the mystery of her being veiled and all. She is a very attractive mushroom.

I have also created Louis, a golden yellow Chanterelle mushroom - looks like a trumpet. So I have named him after one of the greatest trumpet players of all time: Louis Armstrong.

This is only the beginning. There are thousands of mushroom varieties and I want to explore the world of folklore as I combine my mushroom fiber art creations together with folklore characters like elves, pixies, pookies, fairies, and so on. 

The other thing that is a new art form for me is stop motion video. I have installed a stop motion app on my phone and I'm gonna try and get a little better every day. Follow along on my instagram to see the little stop motion videos that I make.

New goals help keep life interesting - and help me engage with my audience better. So far, I'm really enjoying the creativity of stop motion and character development.

Stay tuned for more handcrafted happiness to come!

Popular posts from this blog

Zombee [Zombie - Bee] Free Crochet Pattern

Little Dutch Girl with Tulips - Sticker